Enroll Your Child
We teach our students the vital skills they’ll need for the future, and just as importantly, to love learning now.
Join our Kindergarten Lottery on April 5th at 9AM on ZOOM
A Love of Learning
At Explore Schools, our mission is to provide students with the academic skills and critical-thinking abilities they need to succeed in a college-preparatory high school. We are proud of our school culture, which is characterized by hard work, achievement, and mutual respect between students and adults.
A network of 8 schools, Explore Schools offers:
- A rigorous and inclusive academic program
- Co-teaching model in Kindergarten through 5th grade
- An extended school day
- Common Core-aligned curricula
- An array of enrichment classes
- Individualized counseling and high school placement support
Our schools are located in central Brooklyn.
Apply Now to Attend an Explore School
Kindergarten lottery applications are due April 1, 2023.
- In order to be eligible for the 2023 Kindergarten lottery, your child must have been born on or before 12/31/2018.
- All applications will be considered if received by 5:00 p.m. on April 1, 2023.
- If the number of applications received exceeds the number of spots available, we will run a lottery on April 4, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.
1st Grade through 8th Grade
- Applications for all other grades are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Download, edit and save the application, or apply to enroll here.
2022-2023 K-8 Application
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a charter school?
Charter schools are public schools that are run independently from the city’s Department of Education. We are authorized by the state and free and open to all New York State students.
Does Explore Schools have any admissions preferences?
Explore Schools gives the following admissions preferences:
- Siblings of currently enrolled students receive first preference.
- Students who reside in Community School District 17 (Explore, Empower, Exceed) or District 18 (Excel) receive second preference.
- Students whose legal parent/guardian is a staff member at Explore Schools will receive a staff preference.
- All other students who live in New York State will receive final preference.
- 15% of incoming Kindergarten seats will be set aside for students who primarily speak another language at home.
Do you have spots available in grades higher than kindergarten? Is there a lottery?
For grades 1 and up, we do not hold a lottery. We accept students from our waitlist as spots become available. All you have to do is fill out a waitlist application. Applications are processed on a rolling basis, so the sooner you bring it in, the better!
Does Explore Schools charge tuition?
All of our schools are public schools. We do not charge tuition to attend.
Does Explore Schools accept students with Special Needs?
Yes. Explore Schools are open to all students, including students with special needs.
Does Explore Schools offer free or reduced-priced breakfast and lunch?
Yes. All of our schools offer free breakfast and lunch to students.
Does Explore Schools offer transportation for students?
Explore Schools offers transportation for students in grades Kindergarten through 5th, if eligible. For students in grades 6 through 8, our schools offer half of full-fare metro cards to eligible students.
Does Explore Schools require students to wear uniforms?
Yes. All of our students are required to wear uniforms. We have resources avaialble to help with cost and procurement.
What does the academic schedule look like at Explore Schools?
There are 5 core subjects: Math, Reading, Writing, Social Studies, & Science. In addition to core content classes, students have enrichment classes and small group instruction. Small group instruction is dedicated time for teachers to work with students in small groups to provide individualized math and ELA support.
What curriculum do you use?
- In ELA, we use a standards-based and critical-thinking-aligned curriculum. In grade 3–8, we use Expeditionary Learning and Core Knowledge in K–2
- Math is rooted in interactive, student-led inquiry: we use AF Navigators across all grades, K–8. We also use Math Stories in K–3 to help students develop number fluency and a general love of learning.
What enrichment classes do you offer?
We offer a number of enrichment classes across our upper schools. From Dance, Theatre, Visual Arts, Band, Advanced High School Placement, and Physical Education, student have the option to participate in a number of enrichment classes throughout their time in school.