We view excellent curriculum and instruction as a pathway to equity and a response to the opportunity gap.
Equity is the foundation of our work
As an organization, we acknowledge the detrimental impact of racism and systems of oppression. We envision a pathway to equity that features excellent curriculum and instruction in response to the opportunity gap, providing our scholars with access and opportunities to succeed. We are actively working to dismantle systems of oppression in our disciplinary practices and across our schools. We commit to reflect individually on the roles we play within systems of oppression, and we channel our individual talents and cultural sensitivity to help our scholars and local community thrive.
We’ve also prioritized educating all teachers and staff about various ways trauma manifests in students, and how someone who has experienced trauma may be triggered. It is an expectation that our teachers approach instruction with a trauma-informed mindset, ensuring students feel seen and heard as a whole person.
Our students are at the center of everything we do
At Explore Schools, we educate our students from a culturally responsive lens.
- All decisions are student centered with students being equal and active participants in their own learning & development.
- Our school culture is based on the belief that students are constantly improving and that it is our responsibility as educators to foster a community that encourages this continuous improvement.
- Our Culturally Responsive Culture connects students by giving opportunities for student leadership and making what they are learning meaningful.
- We teach transferable skills that will enhance their performance across content classes and incorporate their outside of school selves.
- We believe that education is a partnership. We strive to engage families and communities by being honest and open with each other and opening the lines of communication.
A palpable sense of community
Our schools foster a culture of achievement characterized by our focus on thinking and learning, putting the needs of our students first, fostering a palpable sense of community.